Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake in the Midwest (131 miles east of St. Louis)

A magnitude-5.2 earthquake, centered 131 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri, shook southern Illinois at 4:36 a.m. (5:36 a.m. ET) Friday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. People as far north as southern Michigan and as far west as Des Moines, Iowa, reported feeling the quake.
My wife and I woke up early this morning to hear and feel our house shaking. The TV on the dresser was shaking... I could not believe it... at first we thought it was our dogs wagging their tails ( two 95lb labs ), but I read the news this morning and it was a 5.2 earthquake in Southern Illinois! I would estimate that the house shook for approximately 5-15 seconds. Scary to think what would happen in a larger Earthquake.

FEMA: What to do during an Earthquake...

**UPDATE**
I just felt another Earthquake from work... I wasn't sure at first...thought maybe the A/C turned on or someone walked by... but sure enough... it was a 4.6 in about the same spot the 5.2 was earlier...

Earthquakes near that area

No comments: